Small Form Variants is the name of a range of characters in the Unicode
character encoding standard.
One of the least interesting of the code blocks, Small Form Variants exists only for compatibility with legacy encodings and implementations.
The Republic of China (Taiwan) national standard CNS 11643 encodes a number of small variants of ASCII punctuation. The characters of this block, while construed as fullwidth characters, are nevertheless depicted using small forms that are set within a fullwidth display cell. (see also Halfwidth and Fullwidth Forms).
Two small form variants from CNS 11643/plane 1 were unified with other, existing characters.
2131, which would have been U+FE53, was unified with
U+00B7 · middle dot (Latin-1 Supplement).
2261, which would have been U+FE67, was unified with
U+2215 ∕ division slash (Mathematical Operators).
's Small Form Variants code block
reserves the 32
code points from U+FE50 to U+FE6F, of which 26
are currently assigned.
CJK Compatibility Forms <-- Small Form Variants --> Arabic Presentation Forms B
Compatibility variants for CNS 11643.
All the characters in this code block were added in Unicode 1.1
Number of characters in each General Category :
Punctuation, Dash Pd : 2
Punctuation, Open Ps : 3
Punctuation, Close Pe : 3
Punctuation, Other Po : 13
Symbol, Math Sm : 4
Symbol, Currency Sc : 1
Number of characters in each Bidirectional Category :
European Number Separator ES : 2
European Number Terminator ET : 3
Common Number Separator CS : 3
Other Neutral ON : 18
The columns below should be interpreted as :
- The Unicode code for the character
- The character in question
- The Unicode name for the character
- The Unicode General Category for the character
- The Unicode Bidirectional Category for the character
If the characters below show up poorly, or not at all, see Unicode Support for possible solutions.
Small Form Variants
Small form variants
- U+FE50 ﹐ small comma Po CS
- ref U+FE10 ︐ presentation form for vertical comma (Vertical Forms)
- U+FE51 ﹑ small ideographic comma Po ON
- ref U+FE11 ︑ presentation form for vertical ideographic comma (Vertical Forms)
- ref U+FE45 ﹅ sesame dot (CJK Compatibility Forms)
- U+FE52 ﹒ small full stop Po CS
- U+FE54 ﹔ small semicolon Po ON
- ref U+FE14 ︔ presentation form for vertical semicolon (Vertical Forms)
- U+FE55 ﹕ small colon Po CS
- ref U+FE13 ︓ presentation form for vertical colon (Vertical Forms)
- U+FE56 ﹖ small question mark Po ON
- U+FE57 ﹗ small exclamation mark Po ON
- U+FE58 ﹘ small em dash Pd ON
- U+FE59 ﹙ small left parenthesis Ps ON
- U+FE5A ﹚ small right parenthesis Pe ON
- U+FE5B ﹛ small left curly bracket Ps ON
- U+FE5C ﹜ small right curly bracket Pe ON
- U+FE5D ﹝ small left tortoise shell bracket Ps ON
- U+FE5E ﹞ small right tortoise shell bracket Pe ON
- U+FE5F ﹟ small number sign Po ET
- U+FE60 ﹠ small ampersand Po ON
- U+FE61 ﹡ small asterisk Po ON
- U+FE62 ﹢ small plus sign Sm ES
- U+FE63 ﹣ small hyphen minus Pd ES
- U+FE64 ﹤ small less than sign Sm ON
- U+FE65 ﹥ small greater than sign Sm ON
- U+FE66 ﹦ small equals sign Sm ON
- U+FE68 ﹨ small reverse solidus Po ON
- U+FE69 ﹩ small dollar sign Sc ET
- U+FE6A ﹪ small percent sign Po ET
- U+FE6B ﹫ small commercial at Po ON
Some prose may have been lifted verbatim from unicode.org,