The Smilodon fatalis is commonly known as the saber toothed cat, an species that went extinct around 11,000 years ago. It resembled large cats of today though it has no direct genetic links to modern felines. Two long canine teeth that extended out of its mouth were its most prominent feature. It was distributed through most of North America and South America and lived on grassy plains and open woodlands.

The saber toothed cat most likely ate prey larger than itself, such as ancient horses, buffalo, and other related animals. It may have also eaten carrion when required by scarcity.

Recent investigations into Smilodon fatalis have concluded that the cat used its large teeth to cut into the soft belly of prey. Some fossils even show evidence of wounds that healed that would have killed most creatures. This is evidence of social society among Smilodon fatalis whereby sick and old members of the group were fed by younger ones.

These cats co-existed with humans for thousands of years, which is evidenced by ancient cave drawings and migratory human evidence. Smilodon fatalis most likely went extinct due to environmental changes due to the end of the last ice age or overhunting by early humans.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.