An egg shaped piece of candy produced by Allens in New Zealand.

They have a hard outer shell, a thin layer of chocolate underneath and a harder center. The center peice can take up to 3-4 minutes to chew through.

Snifters usually come in a green box (with your usual designs/gimmicks taking up what should be blank space) about the size of a cigar case.

A snifter is a tulip-shaped glass designed for serving brandy (including Cognac, Armagnac and variants such as Calvados), whisky, whiskey and similar strong, aromatic drinks. A snifter has a wide bowl and a narrow opening, which helps concentrate the aroma and makes the drink's flavour stand out. The stem is short and leads to a wide base, which is necessary to keep the glass stable. In crude ASCII art:




                 /          \
                /            \
               /              \
              /                \
             /                  \
             |                  |
             |                  |
              \                /
               \______________/
                      ||
                      ||
                _____/  \_____
                --------------


A snifter should be held with the palm facing upwards and the stem between the middle and index fingers, with the rest of the hand wrapped lightly around the base of the bowl. This will warm the drink — good brandies are best appreciated at slightly warmer than room temperature.

Snifters are often seen in films being held by stereotypical rich people. This is more due to the nature of the drink than the glass itself, although hand-made Murano snifters can cost anywhere up to €100 each. For those without that kind of money to burn, fancy cut glass snifters can be found in many antiques shops and on eBay for far more reasonable prices; failing that, plain and cheap snifters are available in many high street stores.

If filled to the rim, a typical snifter will hold somewhere between 350ml and 550ml of liquid. However, when serving brandy or whisky, a single measure is 25ml to 45ml in a bar (depending upon the country, local legislation and sometimes the individual bar), or anywhere up to 50ml when serving at home. Thus, the liquid should not usually come up beyond the widest part of the glass.

Some snifters can be tilted so that the edge of the base and the widest part of the bowl touch the table, leaving the opening somewhere around 15mm off the surface. Such a glass can then be filled up to the base of the opening to obtain a single serving. Unfortunately, not all glass makers are aware of this traditional method of measurement, so some glasses do not have the correct size of base to make this work.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.