Sojourn, a MUD (Multi User Dungeon or Dimension). The original Sojourn was one of the most popular Diku MUDs which focused on hack 'n slash and roleplaying, based loosely around the Forgotten Realms. It has since then died but created many hybrids. Initially it split into two seperate MUDs, Duris and Toril. Toril was for roleplaying, Duris for killing. Neither MUD exists these days, but there is a Duris2 and a new Sojourn (which is more like Toril), plus a Basternae2.

Sojourn and it's clones have caused many people, mainly students and geeks, to drop out of high school, fail their college classes and to generally screw up their lives simply so they can have another few hours online. It has been known to cause these people to stay up for days on end MUDding.

Many online games have this effect, though.

You can find Sojourn at sojourn3.org 9999.
Sojourn is also a book by R.A. Salvatore, it is the third book in the Dark Elf Trilogy. This is a book about the adventures of Drizzt Do'Urden, and his first encounters on the surface world.

If you want to start reading books by Salvatore, I would recommend starting with The Crystal Shard, which is the first book from the Icewind Dale Trilogy.

By the way, the Sojourn MUD has gone down forever, much to my dismay. You can visit the web site at www.torilmud.com, it doesn't look like it will ever be back, as Toril, or Sojourn.

So"journ (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Sojourned (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Sojourning.] [OE. sojornen, sojournen, OF. sojorner, sejorner, F. s'ejourner, fr. L. sub under, about + diurnus belonging to the day. See Journal, Diurnal.]

To dwell for a time; to dwell or live in a place as a temporary resident or as a stranger, not considering the place as a permanent habitation; to delay; to tarry.

Abram went down into Egypt to sojourn there. Gen. xii. 30.

Home he goeth, he might not longer sojourn. Chaucer.

The soldiers first assembled at Newcastle, and there sojourned three days. Hayward.

 

© Webster 1913.


So"journ, n. [Cf. OF. sujurn, sujur, sejor, F. s'ejour. See Sojourn, v. i.]

A temporary residence, as that of a traveler in a foreign land.

Though long detained In that obscure sojourn. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.