Soot is a fine powder consisting primarily of carbon produced by the combustion process. Because of its extreme light weight, it frequently rises with the smoke from the fire and coats the interior walls of the chimney and flue. Although the heat loss from the insulating effect of a soot layer is small (generally under 6%), it can cause a considerable rise in the stack temperature. Soot accumulation can also clog the flues, thereby reducing the draft and resulting in improper combustion. Soot may be blasted loose from the walls of the chimney or flue with a jet of compressed air, or sucked out with a vacuum cleaner. Another method is to use a brush to remove the accumulated soot layer from the walls.

Soot [OE. sot, AS. st; akin to Icel. st, Sw. sot, Dan. sod, OD. soet, Lith. sdis; cf. Gael. suith, Ir. suth.]

A black substance formed by combustion, or disengaged from fuel in the process of combustion, which rises in fine particles, and adheres to the sides of the chimney or pipe conveying the smoke; strictly, the fine powder, consisting chiefly of carbon, which colors smoke, and which is the result of imperfect combustion. See Smoke.

<-- of "incomplete" combustion -->

 

© Webster 1913.


Soot, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Sooted; p. pr. & vb. n. Sooting.]

To cover or dress with soot; to smut with, or as with, soot; as, to soot land.

Mortimer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Soot (?), Soot"e (?), a. [See Sweet.]

Sweet.

[Obs.] "The soote savour of the vine."

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.