This is a good traditional recipe for a nice, hot, heavy something in these cold winter months before spring gets around to lifting its head. If the recipe is followed exactly it tends to make a somewhat dry bread, but the consistency is appealing and the taste is just the right mixture of hearty and sweet. (If you want it just a little moister, add a little extra sour cream, or eat it with honey and milk.) A highly recommended homebaked bread/cake (you probably won't be able to decide which to call it either).

Just a couple notes from me on making this recipe: I substituted margarine for butter, did not add the raisins (I prefer breads without them), and left out the cinnamon (I'm allergic). It was still good. Bakers in the USA may have trouble measuring 5 fluid ounces of sour cream, because that is not a standard measure of any kind. If you don't have a container that measures fluid ounces, just add the honey and then use your judgment to add sour cream until the consistency is right for rolling.

Ingredients:

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400ºF. Mix flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together in a bowl. Rub the butter in with your fingertips. Toss in the raisins. Make a well in the center of the mixture, and pour in the honey and the sour cream. Mix together--preferably by hand--to make dough. Now flour a baking sheet and roll the dough out on it, down to 3/4 of an inch thick. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool on wire rack, and after cooling is complete, cut into squares to serve.

Yield: 1 cake about 13 x 9; your choice of how many squares
Source: Paraphrased from Gail Duff, Seasons of the Witch
Use for: Imbolc

Pagan recipes

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.