A dish often made on a skottel braai, usually with alcoholic drink of choice in hand and the radio tuned to the rugby/cricket/football. Although not strictly a paella, only that name can explain the crazed mix of ingredients. Feel free to innovate.

This can also be made in a frying pan, although this does denigrate a most glorious outdoor activity. Very popular on camping trips and at sporting events. Needless to say, this is not a vegetarian meal.

Ingredients

Method

Coat your pan in a little oil.

Start by lightly frying the bacon until pink, taking care not to overcook. The juices from the bacon are very important, in that the rest of the meal, and especially the onions, soak up the flavour from these juices, allowing you to cook without using too much oil.

Throw in the onions, and brown them slightly for 3 to 4 minutes. Make sure they are evenly mixed into the pieces of bacon, as no one likes an unevenly distributed paella. Mix in the sausages and the beans and stir well, and allow the mixture to fry for 3 to 5 minutes. Make sure the ingredients are almost cooked before adding the tomatoes and juice, which you must also mix in thoroughly.

Cover your pan and allow the mix to simmer for another 5 minutes. You can add salt, and quite a bit of black pepper to taste.

Finally, dish up into bowls and put the cheese on top. Serve with toast or warm rolls. This should serve about four very hungry males.

Note: There are those who swear by putting a little apple cider into the dish with the tomatoes. Being a purist, I balk at this idea. I have, however, seen the addition of 4 eggs, beaten, to the mix for consistency come out with good results.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.