It began as a bad joke on twitter: "And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Sazerac! #cocktailsonarrakis"

My friend Chuck, a blogger and cocktail enthusiast, and I then ended up brainstorming about different Dune based cocktails. He developed the Gomme Jabbar, I came up with the Blood & Sandworm and the Kwisatz Sazerac. The Kwisatz Sazerac is really only a modest variation on the classic drink, but with enough deviation to warrant its awful pun title. The addition of cinnamon, cardamom, and orange bitters add a warm richness and compliment the rye's spice notes. Using a good absinthe instead of the now-traditional Herbsaint adds a mysterious component to the drink.

THE KWISATZ SAZERAC

2 ounces Rittenhouse 100 bonded rye whiskey.
1 barspoon Spice-Must-Flow Syrup.
3 dashes Peychaud’s Bitters.
1 dash Regans’ Orange Bitters.
Splash of absinthe.

As in a traditional Sazerac, coat a chilled Old Fashioned glass with the absinthe and discard all or most of the excess. Combine rye, Spice-Must-Flow syrup and bitters in a chilled mixing glass and stir with ice for 30-45 seconds. Strain into the absinthe-coated glass. Twist the orange peel over the drink. Drop the peel into the drink when serving.

SPICE-MUST-FLOW SYRUP

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cinnamon stick
1/8 teaspoon green cardamom seeds (not pods)

Crush the stick and seeds with a mortar and pestle. Toast the spice gently in a small saucepan, tossing constantly over medium heat, until it begins to become fragrant. Add the water and sugar and heat gently, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and allow the syrup to steep for 15-20 minutes. Strain out the spice through a fine strainer and pour into a jar. Keep in the fridge; should last about a month.

In this garden, a riddle springs up
Sphinx-scented of spice and sand
A desert rose, a conundrum

It says
The space between, unites.

This riddle springs up between us
Like a vine

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.