This romantic comedy was released in 1984. It was directed by Ron Howard. It was written by Brian Grazer, Bruce Jay Friedman, Lowell Ganz, and Babaloo Mandel. The cast includes Tom Hanks as Allen Bauer, Daryl Hannah as Madison, John Candy as Freddie Bauer, Eugene Levy as Walter Kornbluth, and more.

Allen Bauer thought he'd never find the right woman...he was only half wrong!

While on a family vacation to Cape Cod young Allen Bauer falls into the water and nearly drowns. He is saved by a young mermaid, but he remembers little from the experience and what he does remember he doesn't think was real. As an adult Allen, like so many of us, wonders if he will ever meet the right person for him. He returns to Cape Cod and to the very same spot he had his near death experience and "happens" to fall in again. The very same mermaid once again saves him. Allen returns to New York thinking what he saw was nothing but a dream. The mermaid has taken a liking to Allen and goes to New York to find him. When she gets out of the water and dries off her tail turns to legs and other than a speech problem she appears to be human. She eventually finds Allen and the two fall in love, but can she keep her secret from being discovered?

Long before You've Got Mail and Sleepless in Seatle Hanks starred in some romantic comedies this being one of his first. Daryl Hannah, as usual, looks incredible in this movie. Pretty typical mid-80s Tom Hanks movie, which means it is good, but not great, and has some fairly funny parts. John Candy as Allen's brother Freddie has a pretty choice role in this movie with some good lines. Still probably half the reason I saw this movie as a kid was because of the stunning Daryl Hannah. ah, young lust

There was a sequel to this called Splash, Too that was a made for TV movie.

Splash (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Splashed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Splashing.] [Akin to plash.]

1.

To strike and dash about, as water, mud, etc.; to plash.

2.

To spatter water, mud, etc., upon; to wet.

 

© Webster 1913.


Splash, v. i.

To strike and dash about water, mud, etc.; to dash in such a way as to spatter.

 

© Webster 1913.


Splash, n.

1.

Water, or water and dirt, thrown upon anything, or thrown from a puddle or the like; also, a spot or daub, as of matter which wets or disfigures.

2.

A noise made by striking upon or in a liquid.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.