The Spouting Horn is a natural lava formation that puts on a dramatic show. When the Pacific Ocean waves break against the lava shelf, water is forced through a hole in the rock and high into the air, like a geyser. Another hole in the lava nearby creates a hissing or moaning sound as air is forced through it. Together they form a popular tourist attraction on the Hawaiian island of Kauai, on the south shore about halfway between the cities of Po'ipu and Lawa'i.

Hawaiians have a legend about the Spouting Horn. The story says that the coastline was once guarded by a fierce giant lizard called Kaikapu who would eat anyone who tried to go fishing or swimming on her beach. One day, a clever fisherman named Liko came to the beach and was attacked by the lizard. She chased him down the shore and into the water, where he swam under the lava shelf through a lava tube. She followed, but he escaped through the blowhole while she became trapped. They say her roar can be heard in the gasping sound of the Horn to this day.

Perhaps because there is no longer a giant lizard to stop them, locals often go fishing near this attraction. Additionally, an outdoor market selling souveniers and other items can be found beside the parking lot for the Spouting Horn. The whole area was crawling with people when I visited. One can only imagine how popular the site would be if the other seaplume were still around.

Beside the Spouting Horn, you can see a large rectangular opening in the lava shelf, and the sea churning below. This used to be the Kukuiula Seaplume, which was known to throw a spray of water 200 feet into the air at times. But in the 1920s, a sugarcane company manager had the blowhole destroyed with blasting powder because salt spray from the plume was damaging the crops on a few acres of his land. Of all the natural wonders to be seen on Kauai, I found this to be the most sobering, with its side by side displays of the power of nature and the power of man.

Sources:
The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, 4th Edition. Wizard Publications, Inc.
http://www.hawaiiweb.com/kauai/html/sites/spouting_horn.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.