Location: 42 Moody Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon. It's a bit of a walk towards from the Tsim Sha Tsui subway station, and it's been a while since I last went. Walk towards the Kowloon Hotel (You know, the really big 5-star one. If you don't know where it is, you might be able to divine the location on a rainy day by seeing lots of tourists with black and gold umbrellas that say "Kowloon Hotel" on them.) on Nathan Road. It should be on the block that's right before the intersection between Moody Road and Nathan Road. There's a sign that says Spring Deer on one of the buildings, but it unfortunately doesn't give a good idea of where the restaurant actually is. You have to walk down a small alleyway with a some steps leading upwards that lead to the restaurant.

Times, prices, and reservations: Dinner gets kinda expensive, and goes to about $30 a person if you don't plan on any alcoholic refreshments. Lunch is about $15, so if you're economy minded then it would be best to go at lunch. If you plan on getting dinner during a more crowded night (Friday nights and weekends), it would be in your best interest to make a reservation.

Food: Considered by many to be the best Peking cuisine restaurant in Hong Kong. I'll be blunt about this. Most people come here for the Peking duck. And you know why they come here for the Peking duck? Because it's one DAMNED tasty duck. They've baked the thing for hours and slathered it with all sorts of honey and spices for your enjoyment. It comes served with the little flour pancakes, sauce, and your choice of either spring onion or cucumber. They bring the finished duck to your table and carve it right before your salivating eyes.

Tea and a simple appetizer of roasted peanuts are complimentary. They offer "X number-of-people" sets, which are rather filling. The three person set was four dishes, and ended with a very tasty shark's fin soup. Also recommended aside from the sweet sweet Peking duck is the deep fried spinach with candied walnuts. Tastiness.

Miscellany The menus are in English, Chinese, and Japanese, so if you can read any of those you should be fine. Waiters also will know fundamentals of said languages, but in the end it might just be easier to point.

Decor is very simple. White tablecloth with pink cloth napkins. Sparse decor around the restaurant. Maybe a couple of beer advertisements, if I remember right. If you're looking for someplace with dragons and phoenixes emblazoned all over the walls, then this isn't the place for you. If you're looking for a place with great food however, this should be one of the places on your itinerary.

Next time you're in Hong Kong, bring a hungry belly and head down to the Spring Deer. Tell them abandon all hope sent ya...you won't get anything special except for maybe a funny look or two, but hey...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.