Here is a fresh, unique bread that can be served at those first spring picnics. Since the strawberries are actually puréed, it shouldn't bother those who don't like fruit in their bread; it's just a strawberry-flavored bread that all can enjoy. This is also an extremely easy recipe that even children can help with. And since spring equinox is not traditionally a holiday for which bread is a popular food to feature, this will make a welcome change toward the hearty while still incorporating spring symbols like eggs and red fruit. Maybe serve this at a picnic following an Easter/Eostre egg hunt! Enjoy!

Ingredients:

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350º F. Butter an 8 x 4 loaf pan. Beat the eggs. Purée the strawberries in a blender. Sift the flour, soda, and salt together and combine well. Beat the butter with the sugar for two minutes with an electric mixer, or until fluffy. Add the eggs in and beat until smooth. Finally, add the flour mix alternately with the puréed strawberries, a little of each at a time and mixing thoroughly after every addition. Beat the whole mess for 1 minute. Pour into the pan and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.

Yield: 1 loaf
Source: Paraphrased from Rosemary Black, The Kids' Holiday Baking Book
Use for: Ostara

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.