A Vietnamese sun-dried chili sauce. It is a light red color with a taste that is both garlicy and spicy but not so hot as to mask the flavor.

Tastes good on more-or-less anything you'd remotely consider putting ketchup on. I have regularly made entire meals out of long grain rice and sriracha sauce. My personal recommendation is Tuong ot Sriracha, made by Huy Fong Foods. They have collected a list of comments on their sauces at http://www.huyfong.com/frames/index.htm .

Consider sriracha as a replacement in your mythology for Tabasco.

While I applaud pokey's taste in hot sauce, I must contradict the assertion that Sriracha sauce is Vietnamese. Actually, it's a Thai sauce, and is named after the Thai province where it was traditionally manufactured. It is quite similar to chili garlic sauce, but a little sweeter and all ground up to a smooth paste. In Thailand it is usually served with omelettes and grilled chicken. It is very tasty indeed, just as pokey says. Buy some.

I've loved Sriracha for many years, so it is always kept nearby when it's time to eat. I sometimes like to cook with it too.

One cooking experiment that has stood out and become a favorite among my family and friends is my Sriracha ribs.

There are only four ingredients, but the proportions depend on the tastes of who's coming to dinner.

Ingredients:

1. One rack or more of baby back ribs
2. Two or more tablespoons of Sriracha Sauce
3. Three or more tablespoons of Apple Butter (Spiced apple Purée) I use Musselman's, but I'm sure many brands would do.
4. Salt

Combine 1, 2, and 3. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or better overnight.

Scoop excess sauce from the ribs and reserve. On a medium flame, grill the ribs on both sides until they are almost done. Brush a coat of marinade on both sides, sprinkle salt, and cook some more. Continue to brush and flip ribs until they are done and there is a nice caramelized skin.

Cut into portions and serve with green vegetables, salad, and something starchy such as sticky rice or a baked potato with butter.

It looks pretty and tastes great.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.