This is a very easy cake to make, and rewards you with a slightly zingy, moist cake which, thanks to the addition of the yoghurt, fools you into believing it's healthy, too.

It will crack on the top so it's perhaps not a cake to bake if you want to show off, but it's a good homely Sunday tea kind of cake.

The St Clement's part of the name comes from the mix of lemon and orange zest and juice in the cake and the icing. The original recipe uses all lemon, but the first time I made this I was using homemade kefir yoghurt which is very tangy, so I decided less lemon and more orange would balance the tartness of the cake. If you're using a creamy yoghurt it would easily take more lemon.

Equipment:
It's a chuck-it-all-in-a-bowl-and-stir-well kind of cake, so you don't need any fancy tools. The only things I'd recommend are a fine mesh sieve or tea strainer, and a zester or fine grater.
I use a 20cm springform pan, but a victoria sandwich tin from 18 to 24cm would work fine too.

Ingredients:
170g self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
110g golden caster sugar
150ml yoghurt
150ml sunflower oil
2 eggs, beaten lightly
zest of 1 orange
zest of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Icing:
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
100g icing sugar
orange zest to decorate

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
Grease and/or line your cake tin. ¹
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients with a wooden spoon until it forms a smooth batter. ²
Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Leave to cool slightly in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
In the meantime make the icing by blending the icing sugar into the orange juice. ³ Beat with a small whisk to create a smooth and only just liquid consistency.
Once the cake is cool stab the top with your cake tester or knitting needle or a skewer a dozen times and gently pour the icing over the top. Some of it will drip through the holes into the cake to create an extra sugary crunch every now and again. Sprinkle some orange zest over to decorate.
Leave the icing to harden for a while 4 before serving.
That's it!

Tips:
1) I line the bottom with baking parchment and oil the sides of the tin.
2) You really don't need a food processor or cake mixer for this recipe.
3) I recommend sieving the icing sugar first as any lumps while dry will become cement-like once wet.
4) The icing will take more or less time to set depending on the ambient temperature and whether you really waited until the cake was cool before pouring the icing over.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.