A competition was held by the United States mint to look for designs to replace the Barber Quarter Dollar, and in 1916, the new Quarter made its debut. The winning design was created by Hermon Atkins MacNeil, and lasted fourteen years with only minor design modifications.

The coin features a full body shot of Lady Liberty on the obverse. She holds an olive branch in her right hand, and postures a shield with her left hand. The word "LIBERTY" arcs along the top of the obverse, and the phrase "IN GOD WE TRUST" appears in the center, split by the figure of Liberty. The year of minting appears just below her feet. Thirteen stars appear on the coin's obverse, with seven on the left and six on the right.

The coin's reverse features an eagle in mid-flight. Thirteen stars appear on the reverse as well with seven on the left and six on the right. "E PLURIBUS UNUM" appears in small print between the eagle's wings, and "QUARTER DOLLAR" arcs along the bottom. "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" is fitted into the top portion.

This coin was a bit controversial in its time, due to the fact that the coin's first two years of minting depicted a bare-breasted Liberty. The coin's design was called "obscene", and the design was modified in 1917, adding a chain-mail covering to Lady Liberty's chest. The stars on the coin's reverse were also reworked, displaying three of them below the eagle. The eagle was also moved more toward the center. It was also discovered that the date on the coins was wearing quickly, and it was recessed in 1925.

The coin's composition was made of 90% silver and 10% copper. The design was abandoned in 1930.


United States Coinage

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.