Most famous for playing Flounder (Kent Dorfman) in Animal House. Established himself later as an honest-to-God good actor by playing Vir Cotto on the science fiction television series Babylon 5.

The Babylon 5 Project

Stephen Furst

Most noted for his role as Vir Cotto in Babylon 5, Furst first appeared in Midnight on the Firing Line, and stared through all five seasons, taking a brief hiatus in Season 3 where he was staring in a short lived FOX series (Misery Loves Company).

Furst, also had a hand in directing various episodes of Babylon 5:

  1. The Illusion of Truth
  2. The Deconstruction of Falling Stars
  3. The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father
and the short-lived Crusade series:
  1. Each Night I Dream of Home
Of the Babylon 5 episodes, the three directed by Furst were significant as they were all written outside of the Point of View of the regular cast.
  1. The Illusion of Truth was mostly an ISN report about Babylon 5.
  2. The Deconstruction of Falling Stars was a look back at the events of Babylon 5 from several perspectives from the future.
  3. The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father was a look from the perspective of Bester and the Psi-Corps.

Unfortunately, Stephen Nelson Feuerstein, stage name Stephen Furst, passed away on June 16, 2017, at the age of 63.

His two most famous roles were the bumbling Kent "Flounder" Dorfman in the movie Animal House and Vir Cotto in the television series Babylon 5. Besides being a brilliant character actor as shown on B5, he also was an accomplished director, having directed several movies and television episodes. 

He was married to Lorraine Wright in 1976 and had two kids. He passed away from complications from Diabetes Mellitus.

Furst was delivering pizza and looking for acting gigs in the 1970's, so he combined the two and put copies of his headshots with the pizza. The producers of Animal House saw it and hired him for the role of Flounder.

He enjoyed appearing at conventions and discussing his work as Vir in Babylon 5. He had a wry sense of humor and could make everyone laugh.

Iron Noder 2017

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.