Radio legend Steve Dahl first arrived on the Chicago radio scene in 1979 after being lured away from Detroit by then-ABC-owned WDAI. In his two decades on Chicago’s airwaves, Dahl is famous for allowing his listeners an intimate look into both his professional and private lives. Since his time at WDAI, Dahl has had two stints at WLUP-FM (97.9, "The Loop") and the now-defunct WLUP-AM, five years at WLS-AM (890) and -FM, and he now calls afternoons at WCKG-FM (105.9) home.
During his time as a radio host, Dahl has earned national recognition as the elder statesman of Chicago radio. His 1979 Disco Demolition, where he asked listeners to bring their disco records to Comiskey Park and light them on fire, might have cost the White Sox a game, but the event gave Dahl a reputation for holding no cows sacred. His two decades are proof of his irreverence: Parody songs, celebrity impressions and on-air, frank family discussions are standard fare for Dahl listeners.
Dahl's expertise is not just limited to radio, but extends to television and music as well. He won a local television Emmy in 1982 in the category "Outstanding Achievement for a Single Program" for his work on Greetings From Graceland, which chronicled his tour of Elvis' estate. Since then, he gave television audiences It's Too Early, New Year’s Steve and Garry and the CBS late-night show, The Midnight Hour. Also, he, along with his band, "The Dahlfins," has played to sold-out concert venues, and he continues to entertain live audiences with his original songs. Most recently, Dahl co-wrote a song that appeared on his friend and former Beach Boy Brian Wilson’s new album, Imagination.
In 1993, Dahl and his radio partner of 15 years, Garry Meier, went their separate ways after experiencing creative differences. Dahl hit another personal and career milestone in 1995, when he made a commitment to prove to himself that he could end his addiction to alcohol without the aid of self-help or support groups.
His 20 years in Chicago were recognized with an anniversary party Feb. 23, 1998 at the Museum of Broadcasting Communications. Illinois governor Jim Edgar proclaimed the day "Steve Dahl Day" throughout the entire state.
With his current show staff, Veteran Newsman Dave McBride and traffic reporter Joy Masada, Dahl continues to lead the pack in Chicago radio. Stoney, Joe Kraslen, Pete Zimmerman, The Gillenator and Ali round out Steve's behind the scenes team.
Dahl and his wife, Janet, reside in the Western Suburbs along with their three boys: Patrick (now a Northwestern University student), Mike, and Matt and their dog, Chamois.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.