I have been searching to find a way to make stewed chick peas like the ones I get at my favorite Kebab joints in DC. I have not yet been able to find a recipe that is anything near what I want them to be. I want yellow chick peas swimming in olive oil and secret spices. Chick peas that are the basis of all the Afghan kabob joints in DC, and none of them have yet been willing to part with their recipe. "Hello, my friend, no we do not release the recipe to white people." Really, that's what Amir told me. So, I have to make myself content with this recipe, which is more in the Italian style. When I finally learn how to make ultra-secret Afghan kabob joint style chick peas, I will post the recipe and the secret will be out.

Ingredients

Method

Soak the chick peas for 24 hours. Drain them and remove any nasties. Slowly boil them in a lot of water, until they are al dente, this may take two hours or more. Drain well before putting them in the aromatics. Don't use canned chickpeas, as you will be very dissatisfied with the result.

While they’re cooking prepare the aromatics. Heat the oil in a second pot and briefly sauté the spices to allow them to bloom, take care not to burn them. Add the tomatoes and reduce the mixture until almost dry. Add the chick peas check seasoning, mix well, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve hot.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.