Sticky rice and mango (khao niaow mamuang) is a popular dessert in Thai and Vietnamese restaurants (in the US), and is by accounts also quite popular in its native? Thailand, where it is served on a banana leaf. Do not disgard this as a mere after-meal sweet, as it also makes for a kickass breakfast.

If purchasing from a street vendor, heed anthropod's warning: "I once got really bad food poisoning from this. Really bad. So be careful if you buy it on the street in Thailand". Fortunately, you can avoid that issue by making it in your very own home, and avoid not only the spectre of projectile vomit (or worse), but the cost of plane tickets!

Ingredients:

Instructions

  1. Prepare the rice as directed in sticky rice (note that this recipe is very high latency).
  2. Stir the coconut milk, sugar, and salt together in a heated saucepan until the sugar has dissolved, typically 2 to 3 minutes.
  3. Pour the resulting mixture over the sticky rice, being careful not to 'drown' the rice. Let the rice sit and absorb the milk for 10-15 minutes.
  4. Remove the skin from the mangoes, and slice thinly, discarding the pit. I've found this is easy to do, but takes practice to do well, in the sense of producing aesthetically pleasing and mostly identical slices.
  5. Arrange the slices around the rice in whatever manner looks pretty to you.
  6. Garnish with mint or toasted sesame seeds. Some recipes suggest topping with 2 tbsp of coconut cream, which I have not been able to find in my area.
(serves 3, or me)

I used to live in Baltimore, and every Saturday we would head down to the farmer's market a few blocks away and buy whatever vegetables and bread we needed for that week, and then finish our trip by buying sticky rice and mango and Thai iced tea from a booth, to eat as we walked home. Usually by the time we got back to our place our Friday night hangovers had cleared up enough to get down to a morning of getting high and watching Pokemon. Ah, the memories...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.