A civil rights leader who got his start with SNCC and it's participation in the Freedom Rides. He later became the chairman of SNCC in was the main reason that they disassociated themselves from Martin Luther King, Jr..

Stokely saw the beatings and murders of civil rights activists and became fed up with the inaction of non-violence and it's consequences. The concept of Black Power came out of this split. Carmichael wanted SNCC members to defend themselves and demand their rights instead of begging for them. Many Black moderates denounced him for hurting the civil rights movement and he eventually left SNCC.

After SNCC Carmichael travelled abroad talking to Black people about the oppression of African-Americans and denouncing the United States involvement in the Vietnam War. When he came back his passport was confiscated and held for almost a year.

Fed up with the structural racism of the United States he moved to Guinea with his wife the South African singer Miriam Makeba.

Upon moving to Guinea he changed his name to Kwame Ture. He died there of prostate cancer in November 1998. His philosophy was a mixture of self-determinism and black nationalism which resulted in him leaning more towards separatism then integration. As a result of these tendencies he eventually left both SNCC and the Black Panther Party because of their integrationist goals and their willingness to work with white student radical groups such as the Students for a Democratic Society. With Kwame Nkrumah, the ousted leader of Guinea, he formed the All African Peoples Revolutionary Party which still has some members in the United States. Upon his deathbed Kwame Ture was visited by the Rev. Jesse Jackson which suggests something of the reverance for him even in more moderate civil rights circles.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.