Strange Little Girls is Tori Amos's sixth studio album, which was released on September 18, 2001. Every song on it is a cover, though (as those with the Crucify single know) when Tori covers a song, she usually changes a great deal about it besides its instrumentation.

Track list:

  1. New Age (Velvet Underground)

  2. 97 Bonnie & Clyde (Eminem)

  3. Strange Little Girl (The Stranglers)

  4. Enjoy The Silence (Depeche Mode)

  5. Rattlesnakes (Lloyd Cole & The Commotions)

  6. I'm Not In Love (10cc)

  7. Time (Tom Waits)

  8. Heart Of Gold (Neil Young)

  9. I Don't Like Mondays (The Boomtown Rats)

  10. Happiness Is A Warm Gun (The Beatles)

  11. Raining Blood (Slayer)

  12. Real Men (Joe Jackson)

From Tori’s official Atlantic Records website:

"This innovative album encompasses 12 songs written by men, but performed by Tori from the perspectives of a diverse cast of female characters. The tracks are then taken apart and put back together darkly, gently, and in an uncompromising fashion. The result is an album which looks at men, the ways men see women, how men see themselves, and how the view changes depending on where you’re standing."

Tori Amos has always possessed the amazing ability to add her own unique interpretation to every song she covers. The list of songs Tori has covered over the years is a mile long. However she has truly outdone herself with the release of her latest album Strange Little Girls.

This is an album made up purely of covers. All twelve covers are songs written originally by men, mostly for or about women. Tori's desire for Strange Little Girls was to break down barriers between the sexes in the music industry, and with the quality of the album she may well succeed.

Tori has taken apart the original songs, weaving them skillfully back together, and singing from the other side of the fear, pain, and sorrow. There is a haunting ethereal presence throughout this album. And many are speaking over the small amount of criticism from the music industry, to say that this is Tori's best album yet.
Why don't you make up your own mind.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.