Strawberry cookies, strangely enough, are not strawberry-flavored. Their name comes only from their shape: They are to be cut in the shape of strawberries, and have coloring to match. They are a great treat for summer picnics, being not overpoweringly sweet but still functioning as dessert in a meal.

Ingredients:

Directions:

Cream the sugar and shortening until fluffy, on medium speed if using an electronic mixer. Beat in egg, milk, zest, and extract. Sift flour and powder together in a bowl and gradually add to the other mix. Wrap dough in plastic and chill for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Half dough and put the other half back in the fridge. Form dough into flattened balls and roll to 1/8 inch on a floured surface. Using strawberry-shaped cookie cutter, cut out cookies, and cut out little indentations like strawberry seeds if desired.

Put 1 tablespoon of water into each of two dishes and add a few drops of each color of food coloring. Paint the cookies with a paintbrush using the colors, making the body of the strawberry red and the stem and leaves green. Bake them on an ungreased cookie sheet for 8 minutes, then cool on racks. Repeat the process with the other half of the dough.

Yield: 5 dozen
Source: Paraphrased from Dee Dee Stovel, Picnic
Use for: Beltane, Litha

Pagan recipes

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.