A game series by Capcom that defined a genre, and brought countless clones, and spawned progress in the fighting game industry.

Key:
(A=Arcade,NES=Nintendo Entertainment System,TG16=Turbografix-16,SG=Genesis,GB=Gameboy,
SNES=Super NES,SS=Saturn,PSX=Playstation,PS2=Playstation 2,GBC=Gameboy Color,
GBA=Gameboy Advance,PC=Dos/Windows,DC=Dreamcast)


Street Fighter (A)
Fighting Street (A/TG16)
Street Fighter 2010 (NES)
Street Fighter 2 (A/SNES/PSX/GB/Pinball)
Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition (A/TG16/PSX)
Street Fighter 2: Special Champion Edition (SG)
Street Fighter 2: Hyper Fighting (A/PSX)
Street Fighter 2 Turbo (SNES)
Super Street Fighter 2 (A/SNES/SG/PSX/PC)
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (A/3DO/PSX/PC/DC/GBA)
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo X (A/DC/GBA)
Street Fighter Alpha (A/PSX/SS/GBC/PC)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (A/SS/PC/SNES)
Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha (A)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold (PSX)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (A/SS/DC/PSX)
X-Men vs. Street Fighter (A/SS/PSX)
Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter (A/SS/PSX)
Street Fighter: The Movie (A/SS/PSX)
Street Fighter EX (A)
Street Fighter EX Plus (A)
Street Fighter EX 2 (A)
Street Fighter EX 2 Plus (A/PSX)
Street Fighter EX 2 Plus Alpha (PSX)
Street Fighter EX 3 (PS2)
Street Fighter 3 (A)
Street Fighter 3: Second Impact (A)
Street Fighter 3: Double Impact (DC)
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike (A/DC)

it's also to be noded that the street fighter alpha series is referred to as the zero series in japan.

Any additions, please send me a /msg.

I've played a lot of Street Fighter, and all its derivatives, and I've read a lot of material on these games, and, in order to keep it sane, a standard notation has developed. Variations abound, and sometimes little pictures take the place of the letter combinations for the directions, but it's all intelligible after you've spent a week at an arcade, a week with a guide, and then another week at an arcade (or even, shudder if you play at home, goddamn hermit).

If you happen to come upon an old Street Fighter II machine, and you've got the tablature for a cross-up, six-hit redizzy combo that's full of dp's and fb's, you might just wanna know what the hell the sequence of letters means, for that to happen, you can just keep looking at this.

Okay, the directions look like this.

Down - D

Diagonally Down & Forward - DF

Forward - F

Diagonally Foward & up - UF

Up - U

Diagonally Back and up - UB

Back - B

Diagonally Down and Back - DB

Some people use Toward and Away instead of Forward and Back, so you can substitute Ts for Fs and As for Bs, if your publisher has been so inclined. The button systems of most games, saving the Tekken Series (uses left and right), Mortal Kombat (uses high and low, plus run and block) and Bushido Blade (uses high and low), along with a few others, whose names I don't remember off the top of my head, rely on a heavy/medium/light system of attacks. Some just have heavy/light, and some have certain button combinations to do certain levels of attack (Neo-Geo Fighters are heavily reliant on this, as their four buttons force them to have a double button hit for the heavy attacks), but, barring intervention by innovative styles of game control, notation for attacks usually looks like this:

LP - Light Punch

MP - Medium Punch

HP - Heavy Punch

LK - Light Kick

MK - Medium Kick

HK - Heavy Kick

Also, when looking at move charts,

P - Refers to any punch

K - Refers to any kick

Okay, now that you've taken care of this, and since I'm a Street Fighter Fiend, I'll throw down a few more notes and you can be off. I'd like to introduce you to some basic moves, so you can get up and dance when you're called upon in the arcade.

Fireballs are usually performed with this sequence:

D,DF,F+P

And that '+' means that you press the direction and the button at the same time. Sometimes moves require two buttons to be pressed at the same time, as in Street Fighter Alpha, so D,DF,F,D,DF,F+2P would be Ryu's super special fireball (or Shinkuu-Hadoken), and the '2P' means to press two punch buttons, any two, while if you had to press a certain pair, they'd be designated as 'X+X'. I ahhh... can't think of any moves like that right now, and I'd bow my head in shame, but I'm not nearly through yet. Also, the D,DF,F motion is sometimes referred to as D to F, or QCF (quarter circle forward), because there are a lot of other moves that require quarter circles that aren't forward, or that require half circles or what have you. I prefer the D to F notation to the QC,HC, what-have-you way of doing it, because Sagat's tiger knee would be D to UF+K in that notation, D,DF,F,UF+K in what I'm calling standard, and 3/8CF+K in that method.

Dragon Punches (or their takeoffs, that many many characters have) are done this way:

F,D,DF+P

This move is almost always an attack that'll launch a character off the ground to fend off air attackers, and controller motion for the attack is usually drawn on joystick diagrams as a Z. Other times people will use a Z or a DP (dragon punch) instead of the normal notation for telling you how to do a move. ZF+P (DPF+P) is Ryu's Dragon punch. ZB+K (DPB+K) is Fei Long's Rising Flame kick.

Right now I'm going to slap myself.

Smack!

I was about to try to wrap things up, and I hadn't even mentioned charging yet. As opposed to circular motions and Z motions with the controller, there are characters who have complete repertoires of moves that don't have a single Z or circle in them. They're affectionately (or grudgingly) reffered to as 'charge characters,' and they've got whole lists of moves that have Cs in front of the directions, or the same directional moves in different colors or fonts.

So Guile's Sonic Boom (a charge move fireball) would be:

CB,F+P (or B,F+P)

Armed with this, if you've never touched on the Capcom games, or fighting games in general, and you've no idea how to do moves, then you at least have a starting point.

Good luck and Good night!

"Adventure is the name of the game."

This is what I call a fucking movie! Features Jean-Claude Van Damme, Raul Julia, Kylie Minogue, and a lot of explosions. For real men only. Women, pansies need not apply.

That crazy son-of-a-bitch Generalissimo M. Bison has taken over the fictional nation of Shadaloo! And you know what else? The bastard has taken a bunch of fucking relief workers hostage and will kill 'em all in 72 hours if he doesn't get billions of dollars! There's only one man who can stop him: "Allied Nations" commander Colonel William F. Guile! "Bison, you sick son-of-a-bitch," he says, "I know you love to see yourself on TV, but why don't you get a good look at this?" And then he flexes his American-flag-tattoo-emblazoned muscles. Sidekick Cammy stands next to Guile looking hot. A team of reporters consisting of Chun-Li, Balrog, and E. Honda seems to be the only group interested covering this international crisis.

Meanwhile small-time hustlers Ryu and Ken try to trick international arms dealer Sagat into paying them truckloads for toy guns. But they're caught! Thus they're forced into cage-fighting with pretty-boy Vega. But before the fight begins, a tank crashes into the compound! They're violating Shadaloo's 7P.M. curfew! Also, maybe cage-fighting is illegal in Shadaloo. It's hard to tell. Anyway, Guile throws 'em all in the cooler.

Well that dickhead Bison has taken brilliant scientist Dhalsim hostage and is using his talents to turn Carlos Blanka into a superhuman killing machine, who is green. Zangief doesn't do anything important yet but I don't know where else to mention him. Anyway he's really dim and really loyal to Bison. Deejay is a Jamaican guy who also works for Bison but is not as dedicated.

And at the same time as that Guile comes up with a brilliant ruse! Ryu and Ken will help spring Sagat and his cronies, and will pretend to kill Guile. Chun-Li discovers Guile's "corpse" and confesses she actually wants to kill Bison to avenge her father. Then she runs away.

So you won't believe what happens next! Sagat and Bison get into a dispute—Sagat doesn't want any of those "Bison dollars" Generalissimo's trying to pay him in. Ryu and Ken walk in and try to stop the fight—and end up revealing that Chun-Li's crew is about to crash a truck of explosives into the building they're in, leading to their being mistaken for the bad guys! Anyway, the explosion takes place, and it's effing awesome, but everyone escapes and Chun-Li and pals are captured.

So Generalissimo tries to seduce Chun-Li, who tries to kill him. He gets away thanks to her bumbling companions.

"Colonel Guile! Have you lost your mind?"
"No, sir. You've lost your balls."

A stuffy guy in a double-breasted suit tells Colonel Guile he and his men can go home; that they've given in to Bison's demands. Guile delivers a rousing speech which convinces the every God damn soldier under his command to disobey these orders.

"What happened to 'the glory of unarmed combat?'"
"Oh, this is just Electromagnetic (Somethingsomethingsomething). Surely you've heard of it? It levitates the bullet trains! And it levitates... me."

"What's the matter? Came to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?... You refuse to accept my godhood? Fine, keep your God. In fact, this might be a good time to pray to Him!"

Well they break into the compound, and hell, you've seen movies before, you can damn well figure out what happens, especially the climactic battle between Guile and Bison with a false ending.

Seriously, this movie is awesome. Generalissimo Bison is classically hammy. Guile is classic Van-Damme, complete with Belgian accent. There are a lot of explosions and ass-kicking. Rated PG-13. If you don't like this film, perhaps you are a woman, or sissy. Or perhaps a Communist. Runs 102 min.

It's not too faithful to the games, but it's a better movie that way. Thanks go to (rather prolific) writer-cum-director Steven E. de Souza.

Director: Steven E. de Souza
Writer:   Steven E. de Souza
Genre:    Action
Year:     1994
Rated:    PG-13
Starring:
Jean-Claude Van Damme as Guile
           Raul Julia as Bison
        Kylie Minogue as Cammy

Those who fight monsters should take care that they do not become one.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Street Fighter is the story of a tragic hero's downfall. The once patriotic Colonel Guile's obsession with tracking down and destroying the psychotic warlord General Bison drives him too far. His vendetta overwhelms everything else, causing him to turn his back on his country and everything he loves. By the time the credits role, his transformation is complete. Guile has turned into everything he hated. In his quest to destroy Bison, he became Bison.

Guile sees himself reflected in the similarly obsessed Chun-Li, a Chinese reporter who is actually just trying to get close to Bison to extract revenge for destroying her village. Guile hypocritically attempts to arrest her while muttering under his breath about his own personal reasons for going after Bison, which the movie shows overshadowed his duty, his loyalty, and even his good sense. This was, perhaps, Guile's final chance at redemption. He looked into the mirror and failed to see what he was becoming.

Shortly after this, a body of international politicians decides that the war against Bison has cost too much. They decide to recognize the sovereignty of the territory Bison has captured, legitimizing his claims and his jurisdiction. As the field commander of the Allied Nations armed forces, Guile has his orders: he is to stand down. The war is over. His single-minded obsession, however, won't let him. This is the point of no return for Guile. He rallies his troops, each one steadfastly loyal to Guile over all else, and turns them from an organized military force with the full backing and authority of the sovereign nations that trained and supplied them into a band of outlaw mercenaries and guerillas with their own agenda. It is at this point that the last of what separated himself from the warlord is lost. The idea that politicians set policy that the military enforces is lost. The military has ignored the government, and by proxy, the people they are sworn to serve and protect.

The final act which symbolically drives this point home comes when Bison intends to display his mutant killing machine Blanka for the first time. Since the beginning of the movie, Bison had been brainwashing, training, and mutating Carlos Blanka to bend him to his will, robbing him of his very humanity in the process. He would be the first of an army of these superhuman servants. Guile hides in the capsule to get the drop on Bison. When the mad dictator opens the capsule to reveal his creation, what emerges was not the mindless, green monster, but rather the other victim he had warped, twisted, and robbed of everything that made him what he was.

Was it a homage to Star Wars when Bison attacks Guile with lightning during their final confrontation? If it was, it was brilliantly conducted. While the larger battle raged outside, the battle for Guile's very soul took place in Bison's inner sanctum. Playing the role of the Emperor, Bison challenges Guile to strike him down. Unlike Luke Skywalker, however, Guile gives in to his rage and attacks. It is too late for Guile — he is irredeemable. In killing Bison, he has not only become Bison, but he has succeeded him.

What is not shown is the aftermath of Guile's tragic decisions. Guile, and his loyal army, have betrayed their own countries. Their actions cannot be justified, neither by their motivation, nor by their consequences. They stole weapons, deserted their assigned posts, waged an undeclared war, and assassinated the recognized leader of a sovereign foreign power. To go home would mean facing trial for high treason. But with the fictional nation of Shandaloo now leaderless, and without a viable military, surely the obvious answer must be staring Guile in the face.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.