This is the title of an article that appeared in the Arizona Daily Star on Wednesday, October 18, 2000.

The reporter Stephanie Innes tells about a 14 year old Flowing Wells High School Freshman (a classmate of my youngest son since elementary school) who brought a loaded handgun to school.

"This was a student with no discipline history. When I found out who it was, I was pretty surprised." said assistant principal Jim Brunenkant.

The student who has no criminal history was quickly arrested and held over night at the Juvenile Court Center in Pima County. He faces charges of "interfering with the peaceful conduct of an educational institution", a felony, and possession of a firearm on school grounds, a misdemeanor.

I received this letter in the mail from the High School on October 19, 2000

Dear Parents,

On Tuesday, October 17, 2000, a student brought a gun to the high school campus. The Assistant Principal was told by two students that they thought a student might have a gun at school. Within 25 minutes, 2 Assistant Principals, three Tucson Police Officers and school security responded to this information. The student was removed from his class quietly, without any disruptions. The gun was recovered, the student was arrested and transported to Pima County Juvenile Court Detention Center.

At this point in our investigation there is no evidence that the student threatened to harm any individual related to Flowing Wells High School.

The staff and students on this campus have a high expectation of safety. Everyone involved responded quickly and appropriately to the situation.

Flowing Wells High School has had an emergency response plan in place for several years. The police reported to administration that the investigation and response to this incident was well-planned and executed smoothly.

Our firm belief in that Flowing Wells High School is committed to maintaining a safe and secure environment for your children. We will continue to take seriously all information regarding safety issues. If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact administration at 555- 2333.

Sincerely,
Karyn Blair, Ed.D.
Principal

When I asked my son why on earth would this wonderful boy Niles bring a loaded gun to school? My son responded, It was for protection because he had been threatened by someone.

I don't know what the answer is anymore....

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.