(a) concept of taking common ideas, images, phrases, etc. of the advertising medium and using them against this machine which seems to be headed towards self-destruction. For prime examples of subvertising see Adbusters.org.

(b) the name of another good example, subvertise.org, which offers many picture files (t-shirts posters or stickers) which go "against the grain". Most carry the copyleft or anticopyright symbols.

One of the founding principles of the subvertising movement is that it is using the strength and power of the corporate machine against itself. A bit like a really nifty bit of Aikido.

Given that the corporate media is so powerful, there is almost no possibility to express anti-corporate views using conventional means of communication (the debate is still open as to whether or not the internet will provide a completely free arena for intellectual debate...). So it seems that the only way to express these views is to piggy-back on the power of advertising. Some people like to call it a trojan-horse technology.

Alternatively, some people like to call it vandalism.

Still others like to call it art.

To make up your own mind, I suggest you buy a spray can, walk to your nearest Starbucks, and let rip. If you feel guilty, subvertising is not for you. If you feel an enormous sense of relief, combined with a feeling of emancipation, I give you two weeks before you're hooked...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.