SVBWAY TO SALLY


For starters: The V is roman for U ;-)

Subway to Sally is a german metal-band who make music of a genre called "Middle-Ages Metal". It's got smashing metal-feeling in the background whilst the foreground is dominated by flutes and vocals. The melodies are quite oldfashioned and at first you might find it VERY strange, but after a while you will love it so much you just can't get enough!
I think it's the perfect mixture of heavy stuff and folk/ethnic/acoustic. This is the reason why the people who visit their concerts are eiher metal- or middle-ages-freaks. The least are "normal" people. And then there are persons like me, who say it's the artistic value that makes SVBWAY so interesting for them.
I've been to a concert in June 2001 and it was the best decision I've ever made. So many different people and all of them jumping around and having fun. And at least half of them knew all the song lyrics by heart.

Their first album was pure metal and the lyrics were english (now they're all german), and it was of a minor quality. But since then (1994) they've brought four other albums whereof the first two were more middle-ages than metal. The newest one, "Herzblut" (meaning "heartblood") is VERY different. It's neither metal nor folk nor ethnic ... it's hard to describe ... it's somelike a mixture of rock, metal, folk/ethnic and electronic music. So it's very artistic, and it's the best of them all. So if you like either metal or the middle-ages and should ever have the chance to listen to one of their albums, YOU REALLY SHOULD, or I must say that you have TERRIBLY MISSED something! ;-)
As written above; with their latest album, Engelskrieger (released 2003), Subway to Sally have gone in a completely different direction. Engelskrieger (Angel Warriors) is less medieval than their previous works, with more modern instruments and themes. It's quite good, though, as opposed to their mediocre Album 1994.

Also noticeable in Engelskrieger is a much more modern approach to their work. Ingo Hampf is no longer listed as playing thirty or so medieval instruments (the man was a walking orchestra earlier). The bagpipes are gone. Frau Schmitt is still playing the violin, but it's more subdued and rarely carries the melody instead of playing backup.

Oh, and Eric still sings through his nose.

But the songs are still fantastic. With more emphasis on melody than most metal bands, Subway to Sally creates several memorable tracks. "Knochenschiff" (Ship of Bones) is one of the best songs I have heard, period.

Discography:
Album 1994
MCMXCV/Album 1995
Foppt den Dämon!
Bannkreis
Hochzeit
Schrei (live album)
Herzblut
Engelskrieger

Some singles have also been released.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.