It is commonly suggested, as a traditional treat, to make "spiced flower cupcakes" for Ostara, vernal equinox, or spring celebrations. One of the best things you can do is collect some edible flowers of springtime and turn them into candied flowers, using them to top your spiced cupcakes. Or you can simply make this recipe as is, and ice them with thin white icing (or any other choice) and maybe decorate with candies like jellybeans or candy eggs, arranged in the shape of flowers. It is very easy to color and flavor the suggested icing with extracts and food coloring, so why not make a rainbow of these lovely confections, possibly served with Ostara pineapple punch? Guaranteed to dazzle at any spring gathering!

Ingredients:

Directions:

Cream shortening and then slowly add the two sugars, beating well (if using an electric mixer, use medium). Add the eggs one at a time. In a separate bowl, combine flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves, then add that mixture to the cream mix alternately with the cup of buttermilk (starting and ending with the flour mix). Stir in the vanilla last. Grease pans--either 2 9-inch cake pans or cupcake tins--cover with wax paper and grease wax paper. Pour batter in and bake at 350ºF for 30-35 minutes (if baking cakes) or 20 minutes (if baking cupcakes). Cool in pans 10 minutes, then remove and let cool on wire rack. Spread on frosting when cool.

Note: I am allergic to cinnamon, so I omitted the cinnamon in this recipe and used instead one rounded teaspoon of ground cloves. I encourge you to try omitting one spice and using a rounded teaspoon of the other if there are allergies or preferences.

If you'd like to see a photo of my decorating job, please try this link:
http://members.aol.com/ivycleartoes/spmuf1.jpg
I used four flavored homemade icings: Cherry for red, maple for blue, lemon for yellow, and peppermint for green.

Yield: 1 2-layer cake or 30 cupcakes
Source: Paraphrased from Southern Living
Use for: Ostara

Pagan recipes

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.