The ceremonial apartment of a Baroque ruler, whether they be 17th Century monarchy or an American Robber Baron.

As a proper New England farm has a Big House, a Little House, a back house and a Barn, the apartment of a ruler has an Antechamber, a Chamber, a Drawing Room, a Boudoir, a Bed-Room, a Closet, with a Bathroom the logical seventh, where and with technology would permit.

The social distinctions are many: to be asked to wait in the ante-chamber would mean that you were no more than 'trade', while to lounge in the chamber, might mean that you might be asked to stay awhile, and even be given food and drink. To be asked into the drawing room (properly the "withdrawing room") might mean an urgent matter was about to be disclosed, while being allowed into the boudoir would mean that one was a close friend. No one less than a lover would be asked into the Bedroom, while none less than one's priest might be asked into the Closet.

Hope this clears some things up.

Suite (?), n. [F. See Suit, n.]

1.

A retinue or company of attendants, as of a distinguished personage; as, the suite of an ambassador. See Suit, n., 5.

2.

A connected series or succession of objects; a number of things used or clessed together; a set; as, a suite of rooms; a suite of minerals. See Suit, n., 6.

Mr. Barnard took one of the candles that stood upon the king's table, and lighted his majesty through a suite of rooms till they came to a private door into the library. Boswell.

3. Mus.

One of the old musical forms, before the time of the more compact sonata, consisting of a string or series of pieces all in the same key, mostly in various dance rhythms, with sometimes an elaborate prelude. Some composers of the present day affect the suite form.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.