This romantic comedy released in 1987 was directed by Carl Reiner. It was written by Stuart Birnbaum, David Dashev, and Jeff Franklin. The cast includes Mark Harmon, Kirstie Alley, Robin Thomas, Patrick Labyorteaux, Courtney Thorne-Smith, Dean Cameron, Gary Riley, Kelly Jo Minter, Ken Olandt, Shawnee Smith, Richard Steven Horvitz, Fabiana Udenio, and others.

Freddy Shoop (Mark Harmon) is a high-school gym teacher, summer just started and he is supposed to go to some tropical place with his girlfriend. On the way to the car, in the parking-lot of the school, with his girlfriend waiting with the luggage, Shoop is stopped by the Vice Principle Phil Gills (Robin Thomas) and told he needs to teach summer school or he won't get his tenure. Shoop is stuck and his "girlfriend" leaves without him.

Shoop must teach a basic english class to a group of juvenile delinquents. They are taking the class because they failed an state required english exam. Shoop isn't an english teacher so he lets the kids do what ever they want, until Gills tells Shoop the kids have to pass the class or Shoop is fired. Probably because Shoop has been hitting on Gills girlfriend and fellow teacher Robin Bishop (Kirstie Alley)

The class is comprised of a wide range of students. The geeky Alan Eakian (Richard Steven Horvitz), the surfer-babe Pam House (Courtney Thorne-Smith), the outcasts Francis "Chainsaw" Gremp (Dean Cameron) and Dave Frasier (Gary Riley), the enchanting foreign exchange student Anna-Maria Mazarelli (Fabiana Udenio), a jock, a single mom, a girl with dyslexia, etc.

A funny movie. Mark Harmon is pretty good and so is Courtney Thorne-Smith, but the real stars of the show are Chainsaw and Dave. They are horror movie fanatics, very laid back, and very funny. I think this movie is pretty entertaining and I usually will watch it if it happens to be on and there is nothing else I'm doing. It is starting to get a little dated, but don't let that discourage you. It is the epitome of 80s comedies. A joy to watch if you are a fan of that era.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.