Superman: Ride of Steel is a steel roller coaster at Six Flags New England. It is one of the tallest and fastest roller coasters in the world. It was opened on May 5th, 2000, and was built by Intamin AG.

The track is 5400 feet in length, and is 208 feet tall. The first drop measures 221 feet, due to an underground tunnel at the bottom of the drop. Superman: Ride of Steel's top speed is 80 miles per hour, and the ride lasts for 2 minutes and 35 seconds.

The track is red with blue supports. There are 2 trains with 8 cars per train. The cars have two rows of 2, allowing each train to hold 32 riders. Currently only one train is operating, after the two trains crashed into each other on August 6th, 2001.

The coaster gives a terrific feeling of weightlessness going over the top of the large camel-back hills, and the cars are very open. The first hill affords great views of the Connecticut River on the way up, along which Six Flags New England (formerly named Riverside) was built. The two underground tunnels spray mist, and are lit with red lights at night for a nice effect. A great coaster, very exciting.

Sources: Roller Coaster Database (rcdb.com), Six Flags (sixflags.com), and extensive personal experience.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.