Another, though perhaps not so well known, US-Army acronym. Stands for: Scientific Wild Ass Guess.

See also: FUBAR SNAFU

Also, stuff given away at trade shows. Usually plastered with the corporate logo or the name of the latest snazzy new product. Probably this use comes from the idea of Pirate swag, used in the piratical sense of booty. Arrr!

A swag lamp is a lamp hung from a hook in the ceiling, usually with the cord threaded through a chain for strength. Often, the cord and chain go through one or more additional hooks towards a nearby wall, leaving a series of swinging arcs.

A swag curtain is a piece of cloth that drapes over a curtain rod, accentuating or replacing the traditional curtain.

A swag palace is a ladies' man's lair, usually decorated with gaudy gimmics with seduction or swinging in mind. The 70s is the decade of the swag palace. A cross between the movie Pillow Talk and the movie Austin Powers.

A swag is an Australian bush or folk term for a meagre collection of possessions, wrapped in a large kerchief or piece of cloth, and tied at four corners, often hung from a stick over one's shoulder. Can also mean a bedroll in the same folk context.

swag

A shop. Any quantity of goods.
As, plant the swag ; conceal the goods.

Rum swag ; a shop full of rich goods.
Cant.

The 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue.

Swag (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Swagged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Swagging (?).] [Cf. Icel. sveggja, sveigja to bend, to sway, Norw. svaga to sway. See Sway.]

1.

To hang or move, as something loose and heavy; to sway; to swing. [Prov. Eng.]

2.

To sink down by its weight; to sag. Sir H. Wotton.

I swag as a fat person's belly swaggeth as he goeth.
Palsgrave.

 

© Webster 1913


Swag, n.

1.

A swaying, irregular motion.

2.

A burglar's or thief's booty; boodle. [Cant or Slang] Charles Reade.

 

© Webster 1913


Swag (?), v. i.

To tramp carrying a swag. [Australia]

 

© Webster 1913


Swag, n. [Australia]

(a)

A tramping bushman's luggage, rolled up either in canvas or in a blanket so as to form a long bundle, and carried on the back or over the shoulder; -- called also a bluey, or a drum.

(b)

Any bundle of luggage similarly rolled up; hence, luggage in general.

He tramped for years till the swag he bore seemed part of himself.
Lawson.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.