Regardless of what the dictionary tells us, swaggering is far from pompous. To swagger is to convey one's happiness and contentment through your walk. Although top quality swaggerers come from all walks of life, the best in the world appear to be from Manchester, with the likes of Ian Brown, formerly of The Stone Roses, and the younger Liam Gallagher of Oasis being the most skilled purveyors of 'the walk'; they have it down to a fine art, exuding nonchalant arrogance with their every step. Pomposity is not something I would associate with such effortlessly cool scallies.

Although swaggering helps one to convey happiness, it can also help one to feel happy if not already doing so. Here are some basic tips on how to swagger:

  • Raise your chin slightly
  • Hold your hands behind your back
  • Gaze intently at all onlookers
  • Stick your chest out
  • Bend the knees and make them point slightly outwards
  • Exude rhythm in your walk without being excessive; if you involve too much lateral movement you will look like an arse. (This is the hardest skill to perfect, so a bit of practice in front of the mirror at home would not go amiss.)

Happy swaggering!

swagger

To bully, brag, or boast, also to strut.

The 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue.

Swag"ger (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Swaggered (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Swaggering.] [Freq. of swag.]

1.

To walk with a swaying motion; hence, to walk and act in a pompous, consequential manner.

A man who swaggers about London clubs.
Beaconsfield.

2.

To boast or brag noisily; to be ostentatiously proud or vainglorious; to bluster; to bully.

What a pleasant it is . . . to swagger at the bar!
Arbuthnot.

To be great is not . . . to swagger at our footmen.
Colier.

 

© Webster 1913


Swag"ger, v. t.

To bully. [R.] Swift.

 

© Webster 1913


Swag"ger, n.

The act or manner of a swaggerer.

He gave a half swagger, half leer, as he stepped forth to receive us.
W. Irving.

 

© Webster 1913


Swag"ger (?), n.

A swagman. [Australia]

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.