Most of my friends are currently stagnating in this state. In this, we are still befitted with titles we resent: inexperienced, a sweet, little child:

After years of looking up to my elders as I clutched books to my chest promising first loves and kisses, I expected more of my 16th birthday. This is the time where one is supposed to be frolicking in pretty dresses from the mall, going on a date at the brand new multiplex, and making out in someone's car. It is a shock for me to realize that, after all those years in adolescence dreaming of the ideal high school life, I do not experience any of this, and nor do I want to anymore.

I do not think I am an unattractive fool. It is always a good possibility, but I think the real reason I have never been kissed is because I am shy and when boys make passes at me, I am embarrassed and tend to run away like the meek, little mouse that I am. I want to chip off at least one tiny bit of my innocence, but I am frightened of it at the same time. I used to sit on the edge of my chair, moistening my lips - imagining the first tender touch upon my soft lips. I have sat thinking these thoughts for many an hour, especially when my heart brewed itself in a cauldron of "love."

And here I sit. My 17th birthday is in three months. While before, I would certainly expect a kiss from someone by this time, most preferably a boy (I would think this, while at the same time dismissing it) - now, I think otherwise. It was only a matter of time before reality stole my romantic dreams away from me. "Sweet 16 and never been kissed" was once a nice statement of innocence and promise, but it has now developed into something otherwise - something sinister - forboding the loss of ideals, hope, and the reality that there will be no boy to take one look at me and proceed to sweep me off my feet.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.