A movie starring Charlize Theron and Keanu Reeves.

Tagline: She just needed a month to change his life forever.
Genre: Comedy/Drama/Romance
Rated: PG-13 for sexual content and language.

To steal from the title of an imdb user review: Is this a joke? The current version of this movie contains very little comedy, drama, or romance.

The premise of the movie is okay (overworked and soooo old but still, okay): straightlaced workaholic boy meets zany crazy girl, he falls in love and learns to enjoy life, girl is actually suffering from mysterious illness and dying. The performance is not too good (although Theron isn't much bad as a vibrant young girl) the settings contrived and, please, there isn't much sizzle going on between Charlize Theron and Keanu Reeves.

The part I enjoyed most, actually, was Enya's song Only Time, featured on the soundtrack. That oughta say something.

Major Cast:


Many thanks to imdb. I have said this and I will say it again; it is amazing what you find when you are not really looking. Apparently there is a previous version of this film, and according to the summaries of that one, it looks like the new one lost something in the remake, besides for a few bits of plot detail and changed setting.

Sweet November (1968):

...Sweet November was a well-kept secret among hopeless romantics until a remake in 2001 made it ripe for rediscovery. Rarely have sweet schmaltz and tear-jerking melodrama been so delicately employed, and the whole thing would be utterly ridiculous if it weren't for the delightful casting of Sandy Dennis and Anthony Newley... (The costars reportedly battled off camera, which might explain their oddly energetic chemistry.)

Ah. So the original did have the chemistry, as well as the balance between ridiculously sappy and still being tolerable. Hrm.

Sara Deever (Dennis) is 23 and hiding a secret that would explain her strategy of inviting a new man to live with her - with platonic affection - (changed for current version, a platonic relationship would make it sink further) for one month at a time. It's romance on installment, etc etc blah blah blah. Same plot but apparently better execution.

(Italicized excerpts from an editorial review at amazon.com.)

Complete credited cast: (1968)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.