The Craft

1996 film, starring Neve Campbell (Scream), Robin Tunney (End Of Days), Fairuza Balk (American History X) and Rachel True (Embrace Of The Vampire) as a coven of high-school witches.

The story follows four high-school misfits, Sarah (Tunney), Nancy (Balk), Bonnie (Campbell) and Rochelle (True) as they form a coven, do magical stuff, gain power by summoning spirits, mess up, and then go mad. Well, one of them does, anyway.

The film starts like this (I don't want to give away too much....:): after her mother dies giving birth to her, Sarah grows up a depressed only child, failing to fit in in San Francisco. Following a suicide attempt, she and her father move to Los Angeles, where she meets three similar misfits in her new school; Rochelle, who is the victim of constant racial abuse, Bonnie, who suffers from a disfiguring skin disease which requires painful treatment, and the trailer-trash slut Nancy. When she displays some telekinetic powers, the three convince her to join them to form the "fourth" corner of their coven. The four seal their coven in a blood oath, and decide to try to raise power to improve their lives.

IMHO, the film was pretty enjoyable, if a tad predictable, with an interesting "alternative" flavoured soundtrack. Not a classic, by any means, but if you like Buffy and Charmed, you'll probably enjoy this.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.