A neighborhood in West London, formerly in Middlesex, but also the point at which the River Thames meets the Thames Estuary.  It is just downriver from Kingston-upon-Thames and Hampton Court.

Teddington is the point where the jurisdiction of the National Rivers Authority ends and that of the Port of London Authority begins.  This makes it the traditional point of separation between the commercial hubbub of large ships on the lower Thames and the more genteel atmosphere of small barges (whatever was able to fit through the lock) and people rowing up and down the river for pleasure. For example, in Jerome K Jerome's Three Men in a Boat (to say nothing of the Dog), J, Harris, and Montmorency embarked at Kingston because it had the first railway station near a point on the river above Teddington where they could get boats.

Teddington arose in 1811 as the site of a lock built to circumvent a rapids in the Thames. The following year, a weir (dam) was built across the rapids. An 1888 footbridge crosses the lock.

In 1852, in response to a cholera outbreak, Parliament passed the Metropolitan Water Act, which forced water companies to move their intakes above Teddington Lock.

In 1969, Teddington Lock was site of much silliness as Michael Palin and Graham Chapman performed "The Fish-Slapping-Dance" for the very first episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus.  Perhaps this was a slap in the face to Thames Television, whose studios are located across the river from the lock.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.