Teriyaki Chicken



  • 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
  • 1/4 tsp. Ground Ginger
  • 1 tbsp. Sugar
  • 1/4 cup Chopped Onion
  • 1/2 Clove of Garlic (minced)
  • 2 tbsp. water
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts

  1. Mix ingredients and marinade the chicken for one hour.
  2. Place chicken and sauce in pan and cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
  3. Turn chicken and cook another 15-20 minutes.

I tried this one today with rice and some boiled sugar peas. Luscious. Serves four.
  • 4 chicken breasts
  • 4 tbsp soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp sake
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
  • 2 tbsp mirin (sweet cooking sake)
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 3 tbsp cooking oil (I used sunflower)
Mix the soy sauce, sake, and ginger. Marinate the chicken breasts in this mixture for 1 hour. Pierce each breast a few times with a fork and turn them occasionally while marinating.

Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan, then cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes on medium-high heat. Turn the chicken over, reduce heat, and cook covered for 10 minutes.

Remove the chicken from the pan and drain the oil away. Mix the mirin and sugar with the leftover marinade and bring the mixture to a boil in the frying pan. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes without turning, until the sauce starts to thicken.

To serve, cut the chicken into strips and pour the sweet, fragrant sauce over it. Yum.

Based on a recipe from A Gift of Japanese Cooking by Mifune Tsuji.
I like to make this recipe when its cool outside since the oven heats up the whole kitchen. I make four breasts even though there are only two people in my house. The leftovers are good to take to work for lunch the next day.

Baked Teriyaki Chicken

Ingredients:

  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts ¹
  • 1 large onion - sweet onions like Walla Walla are best for this
  • garlic powder
  • 1 21 oz bottle of Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki sauce

You will also need a metal or glass rectangular baking pan that is at least 10 inches wide and 2-3 inches deep and some alumnium foil or a lid that fits tightly over the pan. Basically, you should be able to pile up all the food inside it and not have it fall over the edges.

  1. Pre-heat oven to 400 °. Make sure baking rack is in the middle of the oven and not too close to the heating element on the top of the oven.
  2. Pour a small amount of the teriyaki sauce into the bottom of the pan.
  3. Set the chicken breasts in the pan on top of the sauce next to each other. Don't cram them together, but they should be barely touching.
  4. Sprinkle some of the garlic powder on top of the chicken to your taste. I like lots of garlic, but I know not everyone does.
  5. Chop up the onion into small to medium sized pieces. Sprinkle these pieces over the chicken and around it.
  6. Pour the rest of the bottle of sauce over the chicken and around it. If you want, you can save a small amount to pour on the chicken later since the sauce in the pan will get runny as it cooks.
  7. When the oven is hot enough, cover the pan and put the chicken in the oven. Set a timer for 20 minutes.
  8. When the timer goes off after 20 minutes, take the chicken out of the oven and turn each piece over. Cover again, put the chicken back in the oven, and set a timer for another 20 minutes.
  9. Check the chicken when the timer goes off again. If the chicken is no longer pink inside and the juices run clear, its done. Sometimes it can be hard to tell if the chicken is done due to the color of the sauce, so if you aren't sure, be safe and cook it a little longer (5-10 min or so). Some breasts are thicker than others and take a little longer to cook.

I like to serve this with organic basmati rice on the side (or the chicken plopped on top of the rice) and a green salad. I usually start the rice about 15 minutes after I put the chicken into the oven so that the rice is done about the same time the chicken is. It takes me about 30 minutes to make rice.


¹ I always use organic chicken breasts. Organic chicken is chicken that has been fed only vegetarian feed and has not been given hormones and/or antibiotics, unlike most chicken you will find in the supermarket. It doesn't cost that much more than other chicken (usually about $1 per pound more) and its worth every penny. It tastes better and I feel a lot healthier since I started buying only organic meat and drinking only organic milk.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.