1. An endpoint.

2. The Roman god of borders.

3. A planet or star system located at the end of the galaxy or some such, in many science fiction works, including Asimov's Foundation and Doctor Who.

a massive rpg/space combat simulation game currently under development by Vicarious Visions.

based in a colonized/populated Solar System, year 2197 .. you (the human player) are either a fighter pilot for the United Earth League, Mars Consortium, or a pirate in the Marauders, or just a good old in-it-for-yourself mercenary (see Han Solo).

the game's universe is persistent, the non-player characters, etc. continue to live regardless of what the human player is doing .. the game does not revolve completely around the human player.

http://www.vvisions/terminus

Terminus was the name originally given to the community which eventually became Atlanta, Georgia. In 1836, the Georgia General Assembly approved the construction of a state railroad to facilitate trade between the Georgia coast and points westward. This area of the Piedmont Plateau was chosen as the terminal for this railroad which was to run, "from some point on the Tennessee River...to a point on the southeastern bank of the Chattahoochee River accessible to branch railroads."

Army Engineer Colonel Stephen Harriman Long was given the duty and the privilege of choosing the best route for this endeavor. After several surveys, Long chose a site eight miles south of the Chattahoochee where "connecting ridges and Indian trails converged." A stake was driven into the red Georgia clay to mark the "terminus", hence the aptly named city. A plaque near Five Points in present downtown Atlanta continues to mark the spot. With an initial city limit of "one mile in all directions", Terminus later became "Marthasville" and in 1847 was finally designated with the name it carries today; Atlanta.


Source: http://www.sos.state.ga.us/tours/html/atlanta_history.html

Ter"mi*nus (?), n.; pl. Termini (#). [L. See Term.]

1.

Literally, a boundary; a border; a limit.

2. Myth.

The Roman divinity who presided over boundaries, whose statue was properly a short pillar terminating in the bust of a man, woman, satyr, or the like, but often merely a post or stone stuck in the ground on a boundary line.

3.

Hence, any post or stone marking a boundary; a term. See Term, 8.

4.

Either end of a railroad line; also, the station house, or the town or city, at that place.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.