In 1987, the Herbst family, whose fortune was based in oil, moved into the slot machine business. This diversification was an addition to the successful convenience store operations that were attached to their gas stations throughout Nevada.

By 1997, their slot machine division had been so successful that they opened a casino in Pahrump (Nevada). Two years later, they developed more property in Pahrump as Terrible's Lakeside Casino & RV Resort. Around this time, a merger made them one of the largest operators of slot machines in Nevada.

In 2000, they renovated a hotel and casino property in Las Vegas, Terrible's Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas. Locals will note that the buildings now occupied by Terrible's are the former premises of the Continental Hotel & Casino, now defunct, if anecdotes are to be believed, due to violations of Health & Safety Codes. But this new operation is a nice hotel, not fancy or luxurious, but clean and affordable. Don't be enticed by the $9.99 champagne brunch; the buffet was overpriced for powdered champagne and screw top orange juice. It is located at the intersection of Flamingo and Paradise Roads. It is two long blocks from the Strip (drive this, ample parking is provided gratis at the major casinos) and a mere block from the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, location of Mr.Lucky's 24-7. Driving away from the Strip, Flamingo passes by the UNLV solar energy project and the International Gaming Institute. The Texas Tea slot machine is featured prominently on the floor of their casino in Las Vegas. And it seems that the frequent gambler points offered by Terrible's can be redeemed for food, cash, gifts, and gas!

The quaint name of the Herbst businesses refer to Ed "Terrible" Herbst, a prospector and the legendary scion of their clan.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.