Record producer and son of Doris Day.

After a couple of flop singles as 'Terry Day', Melcher got his real start in music working with Bruce Johnston as a duo called (imaginatively enough) Bruce And Terry, doing Beach Boys knock-offs under a variety of names, including a top 5 hit as The Rip Chords with Hey Little Cobra.

As a result of this Melcher became very involved in the surf music scene, working with Gary Usher on some of the early Sagittarius recordings, playing tambourine (badly) on Pet Sounds and so on. Melcher's main claim to fame at this point however was his production of the first two albums by the Byrds (who he also worked with again for The Ballad Of Easy Rider).

Melcher also produced recordings for Paul Revere And The Raiders around this time, which featured a young keyboard player named Van Dyke Parks.

Melcher co-wrote and co-produced the bulk of the Beach Boys' last two albums of new material, including the number one single Kokomo, which he and Mike Love adapted from an unfinished song by Scott Mackenzie and The Mamas And The Papas' John Phillips. He also put out a solo album in the early 1970s, said to sound very simillar to The Eagles, which is currently unavailable, as well as being one of the participants in Curt Boettcher's California Music project.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.