Shortly after the events of September 11th, 2001 I noticed a new phrase on IRC / Instant Messenger chatrooms - The this phrase appears to have originated amongst English speaking teenagers. I think this is an interesting example of how western popular culture trivialises disasters:

"That's so September the 10th!"

Usually said critically of another 'teen' who is dwelling or obsessing upon trivialities when more serious issues are imminent. It implies blissful ignorance of rapidly approaching danger.

Ironically, this phrase is almost never used in the context where any genuine threats might occur - e.g. national defence, politics or business

SXXYfoX23: Should I wear the lime or the pink shoes to the wedding next week?
MangaGRRL: That's so September the 10th... Steve's party is TONIGHT!
SXXYfoX23: OMG!!!

This phrase was briefly adopted by the U.S. Political press, and used in a context to illustrate American voters 'Getting Serious' about political, and especially foreign policy issues.

In a Newsweek article entitled " 'The Body': So September 10th ", columnist Jonathan Alter describes Minnesota voter's disaffection for Governor Jesse Ventura - an ex-wrestler turned politician. He implies that September the 11th was a political turning point that forces us to re-assess our trivial, whimsical behaviour before that date; further implying that the American public would never do something this trivial in the aftermath of September 11th.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.