The Almanac of American Politics: The Senators, The Representatives and The Governors: Their Records, and Election Results, Their States, and Districts
Editors: Michael Barone and Richard E. Cohen
Physical Dimensions (W x L x H):6.299 x 9.055 in.  2.959 lbs.
1800 pages
Trade Paper binding
ISBN: 0-89234-106-8 (2004)
$59.95(USD) Retail

 

This book, written by Michael Barone and Richard E. Cohen, was published in Washington, D.C. by the National Journal, starting in 1972 as a bi-annual publication.  It is published in September of odd years.  The 2004 cover price was $59.95.  The website for the book is <http://nationaljournal.com/pubs/almanac/> and the password is included in the print copy of the Almanac.

Typical questions include:  What's my representative's voting record so far?  Are they liberal or conservative?  Is my legislative district primarily conservative?  Democratic?  Wealthy? Blue collar?  Commuters?  Urbanites?

The purpose of the Almanac of American Politics is to provide biographical data on each national representative (for both the Senate and the House of Representatives) as well as for the fifty governors.  It also provides information on the districts.  It is geared toward a general audience and politics watchers.  Its dates of coverage include the current two years, election years.  It is in alphabetical order by state.  It has an index as well as a table of contents.

Its strengths include that it is read by all politicians.  Its weaknesses include the fact that it is opinionated

LCSH: 1. United States. Congress -- Biography. 2. United States. Congress -- Committees.  3. United States. Congress -- Registers.  4. Election districts -- United States -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.  5. United States -- Politics and government --1945-

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.