This sci-fi movie released in 1979 was directed by Gary Nelson. It was written by Bob Barbash, Gerry Day, Richard H. Landau, and Jeb Rosebrook. The cast includes Maximilian Schell as Dr. Hans Reinhardt, Anthony Perkins as Dr. Alex Durant, Robert Forster, as Captain Dan Holland, Joseph Bottoms as Lieutenant Charles Pizer, Yvette Mimieux as Dr. Kate McCrae, Ernest Borgnine as Harry Booth, Tommy McLoughlin as Captain S.T.A.R., Roddy McDowall as the voice of V.I.N.CENT, and Slim Pickens as the voice of B.O.B.

A journey that begins where everything ends!

Dr. Hans Reinhardt and his ship the U.S.S. Cygnus sit positioned at the edge of a black hole. Dr. Reinhardt has been researching the black hole and plans to eventually enter it. Meanwhile, he has amassed an army of robots to do his manual labor and guard his ship. Along comes the ship Palamino and its crew which includes several human explorers and researchers and two robots, V.I.N.CENT and B.O.B. They find that Dr. Reinhardt has gone slightly mad after years of isolation and want to take him back to civilization. Of couse he would rather stay and finish his research and won't let anyone stop him from accomplishing his life-long goal of entering the black hole.

This was Disney's first PG movie and it was also the first movie to feature a computer-generated visual effect as something other than a computer display.

I watched this years after it was released when Disney showed it on the Disney Channel. Probably early 80s when I was fairly young. I wasn't very impressed by this movie. Even then, when I was at an age where almost anything sci-fi held my interest, I felt empty after watching it. Maybe I didn't grasp the storyline at that age, but it didn't seem that good. It reminded me a of a poorly done version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea in space. And I really didn't understand why the characters did some of the things they did.

The special effects where pretty dismal. I think the only thing I liked in the movie was the robots V.I.N.CENT and B.O.B. I know some people really like this movie and it has a small cult following, but I never really took to it. Maybe I missed something others saw in it.

A frequently underrated movie, The Black Hole is exceptional for several reasons, not the least of which is Disney's foray into a darkness that has the capacity to absolutely terrify children.

That having been said, The Black Hole is, for the most part, an unsuccessful film. It is lacking on far too many levels to truly be enjoyed as cinema. So you don't watch The Black Hole for the plot, for the character development, for the acting or much else that one would normally watch a feature film for.

You do watch it and you should watch it for a few other reasons...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.