The Children's Story, written by James Clavell (author of various other works including the Asia Saga. This story is absolutely amazing. From such a simple story Clavell convey's a thought provoking idea. You could think of the telling of this story as close to Zen. That doesn't make the story any less important however.

For those of you who can't be fucked reading the left, the essential theme of the childrens story is the ease with which children's thoughts and opinions can be manipulated. It spreads a dire warning by drawing a direct threat to the western world and what it idealistically stands for (rights, freedom of speech, etc., not by directly attacking these ideas, but by subversion. Quite frightening stuff if you think about it enough.

This story could be put on the same shelf as Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, George Orwell's 1984 (and various others). However this is written with more simplicity and class than others.

Perhaps my only irk with it is that like many profound books, it sits on a right wing pedestal and takes a stab at communism and its evils. However it's still a good read

If you haven't yet then I urge you to read it.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.