Television sitcom from the very late 1960s about a "cool" photographer / widower raising his son in Honolulu, Hawaii, with the aid of a young japanese housekeeper, very loosely based on the 1963 movie of the same name. The houskeeper, Mrs. Livingston (Miyoshi Umeki) was the image of stability and dispenser of wisdom with an eastern twist that was new and alien to most of the baby boomers in the audience. Bill Bixby was the the father of Eddie (Brandon Cruz), and Mrs. Livingston always addressed Eddie's dad as "Mr. Eddie's Father". The relationship between "Mr. Eddie's Father" and Mrs. Livingston was strictly platonic, though the subtext was always there, despite his skirt chasing, which was featured in every episode.

This show could well have been one of the last sitcoms that didn't focus on drawing comdey from the conflicts between the characters, instead using the misunderstandings that arose naturally as the characters each learned about the (new) world as the comedic engine.  There were around this time a few other sitcoms which also featured single parent households that relied on an outside helper of some sort.  Considering the concurrent start of the collapse of the nuclear family leads one into a chicken/egg problem.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.