Written by Douglas Adams and John Lloyd, this is an amusing dictionary of made-up words, the sequel/update to The Meaning of Liff. It contains the definitions of the original volume plus some new content of much the same sort. As previously, the words are taken from signposts from around the world, and The Deeper Meaning of Liff has added a new feature, some spiffy maps, showing (more or less) where the signposts might be located.

Other than that, it has a flurry of new definitions, a list of prefaces trailing across three pages, and a quite nice appendix. I do not believe that The Deeper Meaning of Liff leaves out anything The Meaning of Liff contained.


Well, tickle me pink! The Oolong Man hath informed me that The Deeper Meaning of Liff gives a different definition of liff than does the original. I find that e is indeed correct.

The Meaning of Liff
Liff (n.) A book, the contents of which are totally belied by its cover.For instance, any book whose dust jacket bears the words This book will change your life.

The Deeper Meaning of Liff
Liff (lif) n. A common object or experience for which no word yet exists.

The Oolong Man has found at least one more changed definition -- 'glossop'. A serious DNA fan might want to get the original The Meaning of Liff to supplement The Deeper Meaning of Liff.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.