A proposed federal law headed by a former U.S. Senator, Mike Gravel. What it is (from their FAQ):

...The Direct Democracy Initiative (DDI) is a proposed federal law (it can be a constitutional amendment) that establishes legislative procedures and an Electoral Trust to administer the procedures so that Americans can act as lawmakers. The DDI essentially creates a "Legislature of the People." The DDI procedures, like the procedures of all legislatures, are designed to promote informed deliberation and debate, elements vital to democratic lawmaking...

This is an interesting proposal because the U.S. is based on representative democracy, not direct democracy. They believe that it won't be enacted by Congress or any state legislatures because:

...The conflict between direct democracy and representative democracy revolves around the nature of power. Power is a corrupting agent affecting all human beings. It does a disservice to the majority of idealists who choose careers in public service. Unfortunately, human nature compels our public servants to first address their own self-interests and then the economic self-interests of their financial backers. The intoxicating influence of power leads representatives to overvalue the importance of their leadership and undervalue the competence of people. This arrogance justifies in themselves their reluctance to share the people's political power with the people.

Then how do they plan on getting it enacted, you ask? Well, like this:

The same way James Madison and his colleagues secured the ratification of the Constitution in 1787-89... They rightly perceived that the legislatures of the states would not ratify the Philadelphia-drafted Constitution. They devised a plan to circumvent state governments by bringing the people directly into the ratification process to approve both the Constitution and the method of its enactment. That plan is Article VII, the self-actuating clause of the Constitution that has only been used once.  The DDI has a similar self-actuating clause, Section 7. Self-actuation establishes the legality of the enactment by having the people vote directly to enact the DDI and in the process vote directly on the method of its enactment in a fair and voluntary election. If voters choose not to enact the DDI, it would be a decision not to empower themselves or that they feel the electoral process to enact the DDI is not fair. In any case, it is we, the people, who decide on the DDI once it is presented to the people.

Would you vote for it if you were a U.S. citizen? More information at their headquarters:

www.vote.org

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.