The Edwin Smith Papyrus
Case Nineteen
A PERFORATION IN THE TEMPLE

TITLE: Instructions concerning a perforation in his temple.

EXAMINATION: If thou examinest a man having a perforation (thm) in his temple, a wound being upon it, thou shouldst inspect his wound, saying to him: "Look at thy two shoulders." Should his doing so be painful (even though) his neck turns around (only) a little for him, while his eye in the side of him having that injury is blood-shot.

DIAGNOSIS: Thou shouldst say concerning him: "One having a perforation in his temple --- while he suffers with stiffness in his neck, An ailment which I will treat."

TREATMENT: Thou shouldst put him at his mooring stakes until the period of his injury passes by, (and) thou shouldst treat with grease, honey, (and) lint every day until he recovers.

NOTE A: As for: "A His two eyes are blood-shot," it means that the color of his two eyes is red like the color of ---------- flowers. The "Treatise on what pertains to the Embalmer" says concerning it: "His two eyes are red with disease like an eye at the end of its weakness."

case eighteen
index of The Edwin Smith Papyrus
case twenty

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.