The Edwin Smith Papyrus
Case Six
A GAPING WOUND IN THE HEAD WITH COMPOUND COMMINUTED FRACTURE OF THE SKULL AND RUPTURE OF THE MENINGEAL MEMBRANES

TITLE: Instructions concerning a gaping wound in his head penetrating to the bone his skull, (and) rending open the brain of his skull.

EXAMINATION: If thou examinest a man having a gaping wound in his head, penetrating to the bone, smashing his skull, (and) rending open the brain of his skull, thou shouldst palpate his wound. Shouldst thou find that smash which is in his skull like those corrugations which from in molten copper, (and) something therein throbbing (and) fluttering under the fingers like the weak place of an infant's crown before it becomes whole-when it has happened there is no throbbing (and) fluttering under the fingers until the brain of his (the patient's) skull is rent open-(and) he discharges blood from both his nostrils. (and) he suffers with stiffness in his neck.

DIAGNOSIS: Thou shouldst say concerning him: "An ailment not to be treated."

TREATMENT: Thou shouldst anoint that wound with grease. Thou shalt not binf it: thou shalt not apply two strips upon it: until thou knowest that he has reached a decisive point.

NOTE A: As for: "Smashing his skull", (and) rending open the brain of his skull." (it means) the smash is large, opening to the interior of his skull, (to) the membrane enveloping his brain, so that it breaks open his fluid in the interior of his head.

NOTE B: As for: "Those corrugation which form on molten copper." it means copper which the coppersmith pours off (rejects) before it is forced into the mould because of something foreign upon it like wrinkles. It is said: "It is like ripples of pus."

case five

index of The Edwin Smith Papyrus
case seven

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.