The Edwin Smith Papyrus
Case Three
A GAPING WOUND IN THE HEAD PENETRATING TO THE BONE AND PERFORATING THE SKULL

TITLE: Instructions concerning a gaping wound in his head penetrating to THE BONE (and) perforating his skull.

EXAMINATION: If thou examinest a man having a gaping wound in his head, penetrating to THE BONE and perforating his skull, thou shouldst palpate his wound; shouldst thou find him unable to look at his two shoulders and his breast, (and) suffering with stiffness in his neck.

DIAGNOSIS: Thou shouldst say regarding him: "One having gaping wound in his head, penetrating to THE BONE, (and) perforating his skull, while he suffers with stiffness in his neck. An ailment which I will treat."

TREATMENT: Now after thou hast sittched it, thou shouldst lay fresh meat upon his wound the first day. Thou shouldst not bind it. Moor (him) at his injury passes by. Thou shoulds treat it afterward with grease, honey, and lint every day, until he recovers.

NOTE A: As for: "Moor (him) at his mooring stakes," it means putting him on his customary diet, without administering to him a prescription.

case two
index of The Edwin Smith Papyrus
case four

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.